How to care for Prayer Plants
(Members of the Maranta family like Calathea, Ctenanthe, Maranta or Stromanthe species.)
- A lot of Prayer Plants grow good on bright to light shaded places with some morning or evening sun. They should be protected from hot summer sun.
- Standard mixes for indoor or container plants such as for herbs and vegetables can be used. I grow most of my container plants in peat free vegetable or tomato soil.
- Allow the soil to dry to about 75 % of the pots height before adding water.
- Start feeding one year after buying or repotting the Prayer Plant. From then liquid fertilizer can be given every month (summer) or second month (winter).
- Prayer Plants are native to tropical regions and like it warm the year round. They need a minimum temperature of 15 °C/59 °F.